- You’re a teen again and call your MC (from your forthcoming story in volume 3) on the phone with urgent news: What’s the news and what is his/her reaction?
I have the schedule for her father’s return deployment and she is speechless.
- We are making a short film of your story, who plays the lead character?Hailee Steinfeld. She has the perfect look for Sadie.
- If you were hired to co-author a book with a best selling YA author of YOUR choice, who would you choose?
I come from the perspective of having written a novel with another writer, and I know this is no easy thing. But, what I wouldn’t give to sit at the feet of Judy Blume or Jane Yolen. Also, since The Book Thief and I Am the Messenger are two of my favorite books, I wouldn’t turn down the chance to work with Markus Zusak.
- Describe your weirdest writing habit.I must have short fingernails. If they get too long, my fingers are all: no, sorry, we’re not typing today.
- Which character in the classic teen movie The Breakfast Club bests describes you in high school?Brian Johnson, the Anthony Michael Hall character. I was totally obsessed with my grades, and I would be the one writing the essay at the end. This explains why, now, I’m the homework drill sergeant with my kids.
- What’s the best part about being a member of the Sucker family (so far!)?I love the enthusiasm for short YA fiction. I love short fiction. I love YA fiction. The two together? There’s so much you can do with the form. I’m hoping to read more and more of it in the future.